When the thermometer plummets, finding fun things to do with your baby can be challenging. To help get you started, here are ten ideas for wintertime fun both you and your baby can share.
Outdoor Activities For You and Your Baby
Although it will be at least a couple of years until your little one is ready for winter sports, all but the smallest infants can benefit from a little fresh air in the winter. Just bundle up and keep trips to the great outdoors short.
1. Go “sledding.” Not downhill, of course. But your baby can enjoy a gentle ride around the flat surface of your yard.
2. Give your baby some snow to play with. It’s cold, it’s sparkly, it’s a million kinds of fun!
3. Show off the winter wonderland. Snow-covered trees and dangling icicles might be old hat to you, but they’re never before seen wonders to your baby. Take a short walk around the neighborhood and watch the smiles blossom.
Things To Do With Your Baby Inside
Too cold to go outside? Never fear. There’s plenty to do inside.
4. Make a sandbox. Fill a shallow plastic storage bin with a little play sand, get out a couple of measuring cups, and let your little one at it!
5. Have fun with shaving cream. For messy fun, empty a big mound of shaving cream in front of your baby and let him go nuts!
6. Bake together. If your baby can wield a spoon, she’s ready to help you in the kitchen. Let your kiddo mix dough, frost cupcakes or decorate cookies.
7. Make music. Common household items can easily become musical instruments. Fill a sippy cup with dried beans to shake. Turn an oatmeal container upside down to make a drum. Turn a paper towel roll into a horn. When you look around, opportunities for music are everywhere!
Getting Out With Your Baby.
No matter how much you love your baby, eventually you’ll start craving the company of others. But don’t worry. There are plenty of places to go!
8. Your local library. Most libraries have special story hours and other activities for little ones.
9. Indoor play areas. Most metropolitan areas have indoor playgrounds featuring baby-friendly activities and equipment. And, if all else fails, your local mall is almost guaranteed to have a play area.
10. Mommy Groups. Join a local mom’s group and in no time, you’ll have a slew of options for play dates and other wintertime fun.
These are just a few ideas, but if you look around, opportunities for fun are everywhere! What are your favorite things to do with your baby in the wintertime?